Wonder Woman Cupcakes with Royal Icing Toppers Tutorial
Wonder Woman is one of my daughter’s favorite characters! She is one of the most amazing superheroes because she is strong and agile. My daughter likes to pretend play that she is her and uses her lasso (jump rope) to “lasso” things. Too cute! So I decided to surprise her with these fantastic Wonder Woman cupcakes! They aren’t too difficult to make either and you will look like a professional to family and friends 😉
Wonder Woman Cupcakes
Lemon Cupcake Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- zest + fresh juice of two lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until creamed. (medium-high speed; 2-3 minutes)
- Next add the eggs and vanilla, beating on medium-high until combined.
- Toss the flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients a third at a time – mix on low after each addition. The batter will be thick.
- Then add milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice on low until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners until 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, place them on a wire rack until completely cooled.
24-pc Professional Icing Tip Set with Storage Case & 3 Sizes Reusable Silicone Pastry Bags4 Sizes Silicone Pastry Bag Set, Reusable Icing Piping Bag (S+M+L+XL)Wilton 1/2 oz Certified-Kosher Icing Colors, Set of 12Blue and White Stars Baking Cupcake Liners – 50 countWilton 415-5172 72 Count Rainbow Cupcake LinersDark Blue Glassine Baking Cups Cupcake Liners 50 ctDC Super Hero Girls 23 Piece Table CenterpieceDC Super Hero Girls Birthday Candles – Set of 4
- 1 cup unsalted butter; soft
- 4+ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar until it looks light and creamy. If it doesn’t, add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak: Take a spoonful of frosting and turn the spoon upside down. The frosting is ready if it stays on the spoon. If it’s not ready, add more powdered sugar and mix well.
- Once the frosting is stiff, scoop the it into a pastry bag with a large tip. Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Start the frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake and work towards the center.
Royal Icing Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- gel food coloring, golden yellow and black
- Combine all ingredients, except the food coloring, in a mixing bowl on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Check if the icing is stiff. If not, add more powdered sugar until stiff.
- Spoon most of the icing into a bowl and place a small amount in a separate bowl.
- Add in several drops of yellow gel food coloring to the bigger bowl and mix until blended well. Mix black food coloring in with the frosting you placed in the smaller bowl.
Wonder Woman Strength & Power Cake Decoration KitAmerican Greetings DC Super Hero Girls Party Favor Value PackAmerican Greetings DC Super Hero Girls Birthday Party BannerDC Super Hero Girls Birthday Party Supplies Pack
Wonder Woman Cupcake Toppers Tutorial:
- Use an image of the Wonder Woman logo as a template. Print multiple images on the same sheet if using an image from the computer/online. Place it to the cookie sheet and secure it with tape. Next, tape a sheet of wax paper over the image sheet.
- Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the logo first. Following the black lines in the “W” outline them in the thick black icing. Allow the outlining to dry for about 30 seconds. Fill in the “W” with the golden yellow icing.
- Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Ensure that the image is dry, gently touch one of them with your finger if it allows you to push in on the icing allow it to dry more. If the image is dry then it will have a hard feeling not allowing you to push in on it.
- Cut the wax paper holding the completed image into squares surrounding the completed design.
- Once the image is dry, carefully peel the wax paper off of the back of the images.
- Place on the frosted cupcake.
Don’t these look great? Will you try these yummy Wonder Woman cupcakes? If you are looking for a craft idea, try this recycled soda can Wonder Woman lantern!
Awwww. I love Wonder Woman too! So looking forward to watching the new movie. I think growing up, she was practically the only woman superhero that I knew.