Did you see the witch hat cupcakes with royal icing we posted about last month? Here is another fun cupcake recipe that is a bit easier to make but still sure to WOW guests at a Halloween party. See how easy it is to make these spider cupcakes with swirled frosting! These are swirled with green, black, and purple frosting and topped with orange spider rings. You could do any color combination or even use the black and orange plastic spider rings that are popular during Halloween.
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure policy here.
How to make the Halloween Spider Cupcakes with Swirled Frosting
→ Go here for the chocolate cupcake recipe or substitute with your own recipe or box cake.
- 1/2 cup sweet cream butter, room temp
- 4+ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- gel food coloring (black, green, and purple)
- spider rings
- Halloween cupcake liners
1. Mix the butter and powdered sugar until it looks light and creamy. If it doesn’t cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it does.
2. Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready. If not then add more powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time.
3. Divide the frosting into three bowls.
4. In the 1st bowl add several drops of black gel food coloring. In the 2nd bowl add several drops of green gel food coloring. In the 3rd bowl add several drops of purple gel food coloring. Mix well.
5. When ready scoop all three colored frostings one at a time into the same pastry bag with a round tip. Place the tip in the pastry bag first, holding the bag straight up. Scoop the black frosting onto one side of the pastry bag. Add the green frosting onto a second side of the same pastry bag. Lastly, add the purple frosting onto the third side of the same pastry bag.
6. Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip. Test out a small amount of frosting to make sure that all 3 colors of frosting come out.
7. Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake and work to the center of the cupcake.
8. Add a plastic Halloween ring to the center of the frosted cupcake.