Polar Opposites: Crafty Penguins and Polar Bears
Let’s have fun with penguins and polar bears! Contrary to what many people think, they do not live near each other. They are polar opposites, penguins live near Antarctica while polar bears live in the Arctic. Enjoy reading two books about these adorable creatures, how they are similar and how they are different. Then, be inspired by these penguin and polar bear crafts that are great for preschoolers and older!
Penguin and Polar Bear Book Suggestions:
* This post contains Amazon referral links to the books mentioned. Please read our full disclosure policy here.
Polar Opposites Book by Erik Brooks
Alex is a BIG polar bear. Zina is a tiny penguin. Alex lives in the Arctic. Zina lives in the Antarctic. Alex and Zina are polar opposites! They live on opposite sides of the world. Their personalities are very different, too. But they find a way to meet in the middle. Erik Brooks’s simple text and vibrant watercolor illustrations bring opposites to life in this lively look at two unusual best friends. – from Amazon
Polar Bears and Penguins: A Compare and Contrast Book by Katharine Hall
Polar bears and penguins may like cold weather but they live at opposite ends of the Earth. What do these animals have in common and how are they different? You might see them near each other at a zoo but they would never be found in the same habitats in the wild. Compare and contrast these polar animals through stunning photographs. – from Amazon
Polar Opposites Crafts for Kids
1. Snowglobe Sensory Craft – This was super fun to make with my preschooler and she loved it!
2. DIY Yarn Penguin – Awesome step-by-step photos instructions.
3. Penguin Footprint Canvas – This sibling keepsake is by far one of our favorite crafts we’ve made!
4. Paper Plate Idea – Kids will love how easy it is to make their own crafty penguin!
5. Handprint Penguins – Mommy and me prints – We made these back in 2009 when my son was just a toddler. It’s so sweet to look back on!
6. Popsicle Stick Penguin – This is too cute for words!
7. Pom Pom Penguin – Make your own mini pet penguin + My Penguin Osbert book recommendation.
8. Circle Craft – great for preschoolers!
9. Easy Penguin Craft – This adorable girl idea has the cutest hairdo!
10. Paper Cup Craft – This doubles as a creative game activity where you roll dice and build a penguin!
11. Cotton Ball Penguin Craft – Get the free printable template here!
12. Cupcake Liner Penguin – So simple yet so cute!
13. Royal Penguin Pine Cone – Because pinecones make the cutest animal crafts.
Crafty Polar Bears
14. Paper Plate Polar Bear Craft – Made with cotton balls.
15. Handprint Polar Bear – Handprint crafts are addicting!
16. Polar Bear on Ice – Perfect for preschoolers and kindergartners!
17. Polar Bear Finger Puppets – Put on a puppet show!
18. Puffy Paint Polar Bear Handprint Art – fun way to make fluffy snow!
19. Torn Paper Polar Bear – great for toddlers and up!
20. Polar Bear in the Snow – Cute idea!
21. Polar Bear Arctic Craft – It sparkles!
22. Shaving Cream Polar Bear + an adorable book suggestion.
23. Polar Bear Mask – Pair with Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear?
24. Cardboard Tube Polar Bear – Adore the rosy cheeks on this cutie!
25. Polar Bear Hand Cut Outs – Easy Winter Art Project
See also: Polar and Winter Animal Crafts made with handprints & footprints
This Polar Opposites post was originally published on 1/1/16 and updated on 1/8/18.
More Winter Themed Ideas:
[ess_grid alias=”winter activities”][/ess_grid]
More Animal Crafts And Activities:
[ess_grid alias=”Animal Themed”][/ess_grid]
Great ideas…my kids will love trying these out, great site x