The Day It Rained Hearts, have you read this adorable book yet? It’s perfect for Valentine’s Day! It’s also this week’s Virtual Book Club book pick. Little Sister explored printmaking and made a book-inspired hearts collage. When presented as a fun process art activity, you might be surprised what your kids end up making. Little Sister made a paper bag puppy puppet with a couple of her painted hearts and it’s the cutest thing!
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure for more info on this.
The Day it Rained Hearts
One day it rains hearts, and Cornelia Augusta catches them. She realizes that the hearts are perfect for making valentines. Each heart is special in its own way, and Cornelia Augusta knows exactly who to send them to: her animal friends.
Perfect for kids who love animals! It’s a great way to encourage creativity while also spreading kindness.
Heart-themed Process Art Projects
- paper bags
- Melissa & Doug clay set or other items to make prints with
- white paper/construction paper
- stickers, optional
Little Sister used the wooden stamping cubes from the clay set to make different kinds of prints in Valentine’s colors. She just stamped her little heart out on several sheets of white paper to create pretty designs.
We used a plastic heart to trace the heart shape over the dried printed paper. Once cut out, Little Sister made a heart collage embellished with stickers. She also gets a kick out of conversation hearts so she practiced writing Valentine’s words on a couple of plain heart.
Little Sister also designed a very cute Valentine’s puppy that can be used as a paper bag puppet. She used 2 of the cut heart as ears and added a sparkly heart for the dog tag. Kids could make all kinds of animals with the heart shapes and paper bags!
See also: Paper Bag Ladybug Puppet
Both kids each decorated paper lunch bags. Without them knowing, I added a red heart to each with ‘Happy Valentine’s Day!’ written on them. Then I placed a few Valentine’s Day surprises on the inside.
Some fun things to add might be: a small stuffed toy, lollipops, gum, candy, mini sticker books (Walgreen’s usually has them for cheap), small novelty toys, and handwritten notes.
The Day It Rained Hearts Book Extensions
- Easy Heart Art Painting – Messy Little Monster
- Prewriting Valentine’s Day Pack – Kori at Home
- Coding for Kids – The Day It Rained Hearts – JDaniel 4’s Mom
- Raining Hearts Viscosity Experiment – Inspiration Laboratories
- Preschool STEM: Valentine’s Tower – Preschool Powol Packets
- Heart Shaped Pancakes -The Educators’ Spin On It
- Love Heart Number Line – Adventures and Play
- Broken Hearts Number Bonds – Rainy Day Mum
- Hearts Sensory Bin -The Moments at Home
- Raining Hearts Name Craft – Still Playing School
- How to Make a Simple Matching Game for Preschoolers – Mama Smiles
- Throw a Love Fest | Kindness Party for Kids – Toddler Approved
More Valentine’s Day Books for Kids
For another love-filled Valentine’s Day craft idea, check out or handprint heart and poem craft.