One of the thing that we love to do together since starting this blog is book-inspired activities. Not only is it the perfect way to spend mommy and me time (or daddy, grandma, big brother….), it’s also a great way to expand a child’s vocabulary. It’s important to expose babies and toddlers to as many words as you can so they can learn language and be able to communicate. For preschoolers, it builds listening skills and and encourages imagination. Books can take you anywhere you want to go!
This year (2016-2017), we are excited to join the Virtual Book Club! As a mom who enjoys reading kids books and doing book extensions with the kids, I have loved reading all the amazing Virtual Book Club posts by kid bloggers over the years. I think it’s fun to see a common book and all the amazing activities it inspires.
What is the Virtual Book Club?
Every Monday, we will have a new title to read throughout the week. These books are popular and fun books that kids have loved reading over the years. We pick the best!
For each book theme, you will find a variety of activities from kid bloggers , many of whom you may already be familiar with. In an effort to assure there is a good variety of book extensions, every week the co-hosts are choosing from one of the topics listed below to additionally inspire their activities:
How can you join the Virtual Book Club?
It is so simple to join! All you have to do is join our Facebook group! Find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/weeklyVBCforkids/
We share hands-on learning, crafts, activities and many creative ideas relating to the book of the week. Everyone will have plenty of activities and inspiration to choose from in this group. JOIN NOW!
2016 Virtual Book Club Lists
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.
Click the book image to read more about it.
- Theme: Apples
- Featured Book: Ten Apples On Top by Dr. Seuss
- Past Activities: Fingerprint Apple Counting Printables, Paper Plate Handprint Apple, 10 Apples Up On Top Hat Craft, Alphabet Apple Matching Printable, Preschool Apple Craft
- Theme: Friendship
- Featured Book: Should I Share my Ice Cream by Mo Willems
- Past Activities: DIY Bracelets
- Theme: Leaves
- Featured Book: Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
- Our VBC Activity: Fingerprint Leaf Silhouette Art
- Past Activities: Colorful Coffee Filter Leaves, Handprint Leaf
- Theme: Pumpkins
- Featured Book: 5 Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino
- Past Activities: Free Printable Pumpkin Counting Learning Activity, Pumpkin Suncatchers, Simple Pumpkin Decorating with Fun Chalk Markers, Paper Plate Pumpkin Loofah Painting, Egg Carton Pumpkin Patch
- Theme: Farms
- Featured Book: Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- Past Activities: Handprint and Footprint Farm Crafts
- Theme: Spiders
- Featured Book: The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- Our VBC Activity: Printable Spider Web Letter Match
- Past Activities: Spider Web Color Wheel Activity, Oreo Spider, Pom Pom Spiders, Paper Plate Spider Web Number Lacing, Handprint Spider
- Theme: Night
- Featured Book: Time for Bed by Mem Fox
- Past Activities: Starry Night Watercolor Resist Art
- Theme: Owls
- Featured Book: Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
- Past Activities: Handprint Snowy Owl Cardboard Tube Craft, Snowy Owl Bottle Cap Craft
- Theme: Gratitude
- Featured Book: Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson
- Past Activities: Thankful Turkey Box, Handprint Tree of Thanks, Thankful Turkey Hands
- Theme: Dinosaurs
- Featured Book: Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems
- Past Activities: Dinosaur Small World, Mini Dinosaur In A Jar Pets, Dinosaur Graphing Game, Dinosaur Feet Craft, Numbered Popsicle Stick Puzzle Idea, Scrap Paper Dinosaur Collage
November 21st: BREAK
- Theme: Construction
- Featured Book: Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey
- Theme: Gingerbread
- Featured Book: The Gingerbread Man by Jim Aylesworth
- Our VBC Activity: Gingerbread Man Puppets
- Past Activities: Gingerbread Ornaments, Life-sized Gingerbread Boy and Girl here, Sponge Painted Gingerbread Man Crafts – 4 ways!
- Theme: Trains
- Featured Book: The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- Past Activities: The Polar Express Movie Night Activities (graham cracker train!)
December 19th: BREAK
December 26th: BREAK