We love themed birthday parties! Especially when the kids are little and you can get really carried away. Today we are sharing a tutorial for creating bumble bee birthday cupcakes that are suitable for both a boy or girl themed party as well as a bee themed baby shower.
How to make the Bumble Bee Birthday Cupcakes
*This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure here.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the bowl holding the dry ingredients. Mix all together and beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- Next, slowly add the boiling water. Start with a small amount, then pour in the remaining boiling water. Please note that he batter may be a little runny.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake paper liners – about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Then take baked cupcakes out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 + cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- neon yellow gel food coloring
- Mix the butter and powdered sugar until it looks light and creamy. If it doesn’t become creamy, add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it has a thicker consistency.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon, it’s ready. If not, then add more powdered sugar , mix well, and test again.
- Next add the neon yellow gel food coloring. Mix well.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip. Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Begin frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working your way towards the center. Swirl it around so it resembles a beehive.
Bumble Bee Standard Kit (Serves 8)Bee Deluxe Party Packs (For 16 Guests)Wilton W7102916 Icing Decorations, Bumblebee, 18-PackYellow Toddler Girl Bumble Bee Wings Tutu Costume Dress Up Set 1-4T7 pc Cute Bumblebee Balloon Bouquet Honey Bee Birthday Buzz Happy Bug Yellow
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- black gel food coloring
- Combine all ingredients (except the food coloring) in a bowl and mix on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Add extra powdered sugar until it is stiff.
- Spoon the icing into a bowl.
- Add several drops of black gel food coloring and stir well to mix the color.
- Place the black royal icing in a small pastry bag and use it to create the door to the beehive.
You can make the bees yourself using the royal icing or you can buy them. If making them, in the steps above, only make half with black and leave the other half white.
On a sheet of wax paper, make the white part of the bees (use a printed image as a template if needed). To do this, make two small dots next to each other for the eyes and then a small dot just below and off to the side – on each side of the bee. Turn the white icing into yellow by adding food coloring. Make a small oval connecting the 4 white dots. This will be the bees body. Finish by adding black stripes, dots for the inside of the eyes, and antennae.