With the need to practice social distancing more people should have some creative ideas to celebrate at home. Even though you have to maintain a physical distance from others, birthdays, graduations, and other milestones are still happening. That’s why I wanted to feature a list of ideas for parties at home and virtual parties for kids. These are some ways you can work to enjoy milestones while social distancing.
Using this creative guide for at home parties and celebrations while social distancing, you’ll find that imagination and creativity will go a long way. Whether you opt to do a drive-by car parade, virtual video meeting parties or enjoy some fun party food while you’re practicing social distancing, this guide will make certain that you still have fun even though you may be on lockdown at home.
This list of home party ideas is also helpful when children are sick throughout the year or have to stay home for various other reasons. You may also find some useful ideas for celebrating with family and friends who live out-of-state.
*Some of the links used are affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases. Find out more here.
Drive-by Car Parade Ideas
If you’re on social media then chances are you’ve seen some drive-by car parade events. Many families have worked to make their kids’ birthdays special while social distancing by planning a car parade either with neighbors or family and friends. Below you can see the tips to make this drive-by car parade a fabulous way to celebrate at home.
- Family and friends can decorate their cars and make homemade signs.
- Leave cards or gifts on the lawn or set up a table for drop-offs.
- Leave chalk art designs and/or messages on the driveway. Our favorite outdoor chalk to use is Crayola sidewalk chalk. It goes on so smooth and isn’t hard and dry like the sidewalk chalk I grew up with.
- Order yard signs and photo ops for the yard from places such as Oriental Trading, Card My Yard, or Etsy.
- Order balloon creations for yard or porch.
- See if local firefighters or police can swing by.
- If you are new to an area or don’t have family nearby, ask in neighborhood app such as Nextdoor or local Facebook group.
Virtual Party Ideas for Kids
With many virtual meeting apps such as Messenger for Kids, Google Hangouts, Skype, Zoom, and Houseparty app, you can surely host a virtual party to celebrate at home while social distancing. There have been many families who’ve hosted a virtual graduation so that their 2020 graduate can feel special even though they’re unable to walk down the aisle for a full-blown graduation ceremony.
Online Party Ideas:
Below you’ll find a list of video ideas to make hosting a virtual party a great option to celebrate birthdays, graduations, and other big milestones while staying at home with kids.
- We have used Evite many times in the past for sending invitations. Kids can pick out their own and you can even customize the wording.
- The day before, deliver cupcakes to family and friends to eat together. Sing Happy Birthday and blow out candles via video chat.
- You could also drop off party favors beforehand.
- The day before deliver DIY craft kits to put together and make via video.
- Do a themed video chat party – dress up as a character, have a luau, host an under the sea theme, and so on.
- Host a movie themed party with Netflix Party.
- Play charades or other board games. Trivia games and scavenger hunts are also fun options. Also, classic party games such as Truth or Dare.
- For older children: online escape room such as Beat the Lock Escape Room or this list of digital escape rooms for kids.
- Play popular online games together such as Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox.
- Host a virtual online party offered at Amazing Kids Parties or through regular kids party places such as Sky Zone.
- Another idea is to have a karaoke party or a dance party.
- For younger children, hire an online party entertainer. Consider local places that may currently offer their services online during this unprecedented time.
Zoom Party Backgrounds:
Check out these free birthday and Disney animation backgrounds that are perfect for Zoom parties!
- Free Zoom Birthday Backgrounds for Girls
- Free Zoom Backgrounds for Boy Virtual Birthday Parties
- Virtual Backgrounds From Walt Disney Animation Studios
See also: Plan a memorable virtual celebration for your students.
Kids Parties At Home Ideas
If a virtual party or a drive-by parade isn’t quite what you’re looking for, then consider these other party ideas to enjoy those milestones during quarantine and while staying at home. The list of ideas below can help you craft up a fabulous at home event to enjoy birthdays, graduations, and other special occasions that will arise during safer at home restrictions.
You can discuss these other ideas of celebrating at home while social distancing with your family to see which ones make the most sense for your family and milestone event.
- Have balloons or flowers delivered on the special day.
- Have family and friends record video messages to play on the big day or send eCards.
- Make a video montage on Tribute.co.
- Hide small presents around the house.
- Put money inside balloons to pop open.
- Gift idea: let the kids shop online with a budget.
- Have family and friends mail cards to open on the big day.
- Decorate the house with streamers, banners, balloons, etc.
- Make a balloon avalanche for them to bust through in the morning.
- Play backyard games such as bowling, cornhole, croquet, jumbo diy games.
At Home Party Theme Ideas
The list of ways to celebrate at home while social distancing can get rather extensive. It doesn’t matter if your kids are teenagers or preschoolers, these ideas can surely help you enjoy this time together.
When you hone in on your creative thinking skills and take into consideration what your family wants to celebrate, you can craft up some pretty awesome at home party events that will be just as fabulous as spending time with extended family members and friends in person. Below you’ll find a list of themed party ideas to have a blast while hosting parties at home with kids.
- Formal dress and fancy dinner with sparkling juice.
- Scavenger Hunt
- At Home Spa Day
- Movie Themed Day
- Game Night: Play indoor games or minute to win it style games.
- Glow party (find glow-in-the-dark party supplies galore here) or glow stick man dance party
- Camping Party: Make s’mores. Have a bonfire if you have a pit or make a pretend one for younger children. Set up a tent in the back yard or living room.
- Virtual Painting Parties: Many local places are offering this or try this online streaming website that has paint party videos.
- Theme Party Supplies – Inexpensive party supplies for every theme you can think of.
Fun Food Ideas for At Home Celebrations
Having a bunch of fun party food ideas can help you get in the kitchen and create with your kids. Baking with kids has many benefits such as teaching kids important life skills, strengthening your family bond, and working math skills. The kitchen is often referred to as the heart of the home for good reason, so why not use the ideas below to create some fun party foods to celebrate at home with your family.
- Make a pancake tower cake.
- Use sparkler candles on cake.
- Make fruity mocktails and other fun kids drinks
- Bake a cake and have siblings decorate it.
- Set up an ice cream sundae bar.
See also: fun cupcake recipes and tutorials
I hope that you’ll use this list of parties at home with kids and ideas for celebrations while social distancing to enjoy some quality time together. Even though we’re physically separated from many of our friends and extended family members, technology makes it easier to remain connected while apart. This fun and helpful resource of ideas to celebrate milestones at home will surely put you on the path to making each milestone a memorable event regardless of the circumstances outside.