Ideas for Family Movie Nights – The Ultimate Guide to Family Fun Series
We are joining The Ultimate Guide to Family Fun hosted by The Realistic Mama where about a dozen other bloggers are sharing all different ways that families can enjoy spending time together. PLUS, there is a huge giveaway with over $700 in prizes and gift cards!
Have you done any family movie nights? It’s such a fun way to spend time together. We love incorporating all kinds of themed activities and fun food ideas to go along with the movie we plan to watch. So today I am sharing ideas for themed movie nights (or days) from lots of amazing bloggers. Of course it is not necessary to ‘go all out’ like some of the posts show, but they can definitely inspire you to add a little extra fun. Perhaps it’s as simple as eating spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and then watching the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Or maybe painting a box car to have a pretend drive-in movie theater. It has been awhile since we have done a theme and I can’t wait to do more!
Here are 5 Disney Movie Family Days we have done in the past and invited our friend to join us.
- Madagascar Escape 2 Africa – We had hippo-shaped sandwiches, monkey bites, and zoo popcorn!
- Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs – This was so much fun and had my son and his friend giggling for hours. We went a bit overboard with activities but was definitely worth it to see how much they enjoyed it.
- Disney Pixar’s Up – I love the art project before watching the movie!
- Disney Pixar’s Cars – My son and his bestie had a Cars playdate that included fun food, crafts, vrooming around in their cars, and watching the movie. I think my friend and I had just as much fun as our boys did!
- Monster’s Inc. We had a whole monster themed day! We made playdough monsters and paint blob monsters. I also made them a silly monster snack to eat while watching the movie.
Dr Seuss Movies
- Dr Seuss’s Horton Hears a Who – So cute! This was a mommy and me movie night with my son when he was a toddler. We even made Horton ears and a trunk for him to wear/play with during the movie.
- The Cat in the Hat – I invited a few of our friends with kids over for tons of fun and even cupcakes! This post has been a favorite among our blog readers and social media followers.
- The Lorax – Housing a Forest – Shares her outside theater idea.
Jamie from Momma’s Playground is one of the 1st bloggers that I connected with and is the inspiration behind our movie themes after seeing how much fun she was having. She has even made free printable tickets for many of the popular kid’s movies. Here are 10 themes they have done filled with decorations, fun food, crafts, and activities.
- Disney’s Frozen
- Peter Pan
- Finding Nemo
- Lilo & Stitch
- A Bug’s Life
- Disney Pixar Cars
- Toy Story
- Wreck-it Ralph
Family Movie Nights from Other Blogs/Websites
- 101 Dalmations – Three A’s and a C – Love the simple activity they did with this movie!
- The Smurfs 2 – Gallamore West – Super cute Smurf cupcakes.
- Frozen Movie Night – Everything’s More Fun in a Tutu – Lots of cute ideas.
- Frozen – The Chirping Moms – They had a “Do you want to build a snowman?” fun food set up.
- Toy Story – Counting Coconuts – Love the fun food ideas!
- Beauty & the Beast – Mommy & Things – has a free printable menu.
- The Little Mermaid – Mommy & Things – also includes a free printable menu.
- Disney Planes – Teach Beside Me – The kids got to watch the movie in their own cardboard plane.
- Disney Planes – True Aim Education – Their DIY snack boxes are a must see!
- Yogi Bear – Workman Family, the next are from this blog – With a picnic of course!
- Tangled – I love the simple way she decorated for this movie night.
- Rio – Love the bird food idea!!!
- Megamind – The spaceship cupcakes are so cool and EASY to make!
- Camp Rock – The campfire dessert is so clever and yummy-looking.
- Planet 51 – Simple & cute!
- Kung Fu Panda – The photos make me smile.
- Nancy Drew or just a fun Mystery Movie Night – I love everything about this theme!
- The Jungle Book – Rural Mom – Super cute plates and trail mix!
- Monsters University – Toddler Approved – Fun food idea and cute monster craft.
- Gruffalo – Coffee Cups and Crayons – There are 3 fun food ideas that she shares!
- The Polar Express – This is the perfect family movie and we watch it together every year in our pajamas. I thought it was cute that my hubby set up our little guy’s train set around our Christmas tree.
- The Polar Express including free tickets – Crazy Little Projects
- Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer Cute handmade reindeer shirt and antlers, a handprint reindeer mask, and a quick and easy reindeer snack = a memorable mommy and me movie night.
- Frosty the Snowman – Momma’s Playground – So many adorable snowman ideas!
- Halloween Themed Movie Nights – eighteen25 – Ideas for Hocus Pocus, Hotel Transylvania, ParaNorman, It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Ghostbusters, Monster House, E.T., and Frankenweenie
- Casper – Jam packed with a whole day’s worth of ghost crafts, a spooktacular drink – ghost milk, and a mini ghost snack.
Other fun movie ideas: Here are general ideas that can fit many different movies. I especially love all the fun and frugal ideas using cardboard.
- Free Family Movie Night Tickets – Momma’s Playground
- DIY Movie Tickets – She Knows
- Free Printable Concessions and Prices Sign – Moms and Munchkins
- DIY Concession Stand and Box Cars – Homemaking Fun
- Popcorn Crafts and Activities – Katherine Marie. – She always has the BEST activities and photos! The kids even got to do a popcorn fight – how fun!
- Outdoor Movie Party Ideas – The Ardent Sparrow
- Drive-in Movie Night – Somewhat Simple – She even made the kids their own parking spots!
- Family Fun Date Night Ideas – The Dating Divas
- How to Host a Backyard Movie Party – The Sits Girls
- 7 Classic Kid’s Movies That Still Hold Up – Cool Mom Picks
- DIY Ticket Booth – Inner Child Fun – Fun pretend play idea.
Inspire another family to have their own family movie night with these gift ideas:
Be sure to stop by The Ultimate Guide to Family Fun main page to browse all the other topics such as a family scavenger hunt, family art projects, hiking together and more! You may also enjoy the Everything Family Fun Pinterest board.
Family movie nights are fun on their own, but these ideas are amazing! What great memories they will make!