‘Tis the season for baking, and you’ll make a big splash at holiday parties with any of these amazing Christmas cupcake ideas. This list focuses on easy cupcake designs so that no matter your skill level, you can make beautiful, Pinterest-worthy cupcakes even if you’ve never made any before.
The great thing about cupcakes is that it’s mostly about the presentation. So, if you’re short on time or just don’t want to make cake batter from scratch, using boxed cake mix is A-OK with me. Who doesn’t love saving time? The cake portion can be seasonally flavored — think gingerbread, peppermint, or eggnog — or you can let the frosting flavor take front and center.
The real star of the show is the choice of cupcake toppers. From fun and whimsical trees, Santas, and reindeer, to classic berries, cookies, and candies, there are so many ways to create a festive cupcake.
Cute and Easy Christmas Cupcake Ideas
Here are 20 fun cupcake ideas for Christmas guaranteed to secure your spot on Santa’s nice list.
1. North Pole Santa Cupcakes by Artsy Momma: You can’t get more Christmas-y than these adorable cupcakes. Complete with Santa lollipops and peppermint candy sticks, they’re the perfect choice for a classroom party or holiday bake sale.
2. Red Velvet Christmas Holly Cupcakes by Artsy Momma: If you want delicious cupcakes that make a big impression with very little effort, make these! You’ll love the flavor combination of delicious red velvet cake paired with sweet and refreshing peppermint icing.
3. Santa Cupcakes by Baking Beauty: No decorating skills are required for these charming Santa-themed cupcakes. Mini marshmallows and red sparkling sugar do the heavy lifting on this design.
4. Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes by Sally’s Baking Addiction: Vanilla cupcakes are lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and have a peach jam center. Top with your favorite festive candies for a festive look.
5. Hot Chocolate Cupcakes by Swanky Recipes: Filled with decadent chocolate praline and topped with rich frosting, mini marshmallows and crushed peppermint candy, these cupcakes are the ultimate holiday dessert.
6. Cranberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes by Flour Covered Apron: These white chocolate cupcakes are filled with sweet, buttery cranberry curd and topped with white chocolate buttercream frosting. Sugared cranberries add a beautiful, festive touch.
7. Santa’s Belt Cupcakes by The Country Chic Cottage: Decorating cupcakes with a Santa’s belt theme is a genius way to make cupcakes look professionally done without a lot of fuss. They’re absolutely darling and will look amazing on your holiday table this year.
8. Gingerbread Cupcakes by Ruffles & Rain Boots: Spiced gingerbread cake pairs with flavorful yet subtle cinnamon buttercream to create these cupcakes. Top them off with gingerbread cookies for a super cute presentation.
9. Gingerbread Reindeer Cupcakes by The Suburban Mom: If gingerbread is really your jam, you can also make these reindeer-themed gingerbread cupcakes.
10. Christmas Wreath Cupcakes by Onion Rings & Things: If you’re looking for cupcakes to give as gifts to neighbors, friends, and family, make these! With a gorgeous (yet easy-to-make) wreath design, they’ll look fun and festive when served up. Using your favorite chocolate cake mix makes these even easier to bake.
More Fun Cupcake Tutorials for Christmas
11. Snowman Cupcakes by Divine Lifestyle: When it’s too cold outside, gather the kids to make melting snowman cupcakes instead! They can help with everything from frosting the cupcakes to setting the marshmallow heads on top. They’re perfect for a winter party or holiday party.
12. Pretzel Christmas Tree Cupcakes by Big Bear’s Wife: It’s like you’re getting two treats in one with these spectacular Christmas tree cupcakes. Pretzel rods are decorated with green candy melts and sprinkles for a fabulous sweet/salty combination you can’t resist.
13. Santa Hat Cupcakes by My Organized Chaos: These easy and simple treats are made with strawberries and a classic vanilla buttercream frosting. Cake decorating doesn’t get much easier than this!
14. Grinch Cupcakes by Simplistically Living: Mr. Grinch may be a mean one, but these pretty green cupcakes are so sweet! A simple red heart in the middle of all that fluffy green icing is all you need to make Grinch-inspired cupcakes.
15. Eggnog Cupcakes by Fresh Coast Eats: Get all the holiday flavor of eggnog in light and fluffy cupcakes topped with eggnog buttercream frosting. You can make these with non-alcoholic or regular eggnog, and they’ll be delicious either way.
16. Peppermint White Chocolate Cupcakes by When Is Dinner?: Use your favorite boxed cake mix or a homemade vanilla or yellow cake recipe for these tasty cakes. The peppermint frosting is what really makes them. The swirls of red and white create that classic candy cane look. Simply top them off with a peppermint candy, and you’re all done.
17. Snickerdoodle Cupcakes by Simply Stacie: Enjoy the flavor of the classic cookie in a deliciously decadent cupcake. The cake is soft and fluffy, and topped with brown sugar and cinnamon frosting for a flavorful treat.
18. Cookie Dough Cupcakes by Spaceships & Laser Beams: Although they’re are yummy year-round, adding some red and green sprinkles to the icing makes them look festive. You could also switch out the cookie dough and the cookie on top for some Christmas-themed choices instead.
19. Vanilla Almond Cupcakes by Where’d My Sanity Go?: These vanilla almond cupcakes with marshmallow cream cheese frosting look like something right out of the Frozen movie! They’re a pretty choice for Christmas or for winter birthday parties.
20. Spiced Christmas Cupcakes with Marzipan Frosting by A Mummy Too: These cupcakes are light and spongy with a creamy chocolate marzipan frosting. They’re simple but festive and oh-so-flavorful.
I hope you found lots of Christmas cupcake ideas to carry you through all the holiday parties, classroom parties, and bake sales you’ll have this season. Don’t forget to pin this list to save it for next year!