Here’s a fun craft to go along with the popular Dr. Seuss book, The Cat in the Hat – a cereal box Cat in the Hat craft with a printable template for making at home or in a classroom. The template is a simple cut and paste design making it great for younger children. Slightly older kids can cut out the pieces themselves. These would be great for a bulletin board display!
Cat in the Hat Craft Supplies
- Kids Paint; white and red
- Empty Cereal Boxes
- Optional: Newspaper (or something else to cover your surface)
→Print the craft template HERE.
Dr. Seuss Cereal Box Craft Instructions
Cover your surface in newspaper to protect it from paint messes.
Cut the front and back sides of the cereal boxes out. For each cat craft you make, paint two red pieces and three white pieces. Allow the paint to dry completely before running the cardboard through your printer.
Once the paint is dry, print the hat out twice. You will print the hat once on red and once on white. Then print the bow on the red cereal box and print both the head and body on the white cereal box pieces. Allow the ink to set and then cut the pieces out.
* Alternatively, glue the template pieces to the cereal box and cut out. You could either print the hat and bow on red paper or have the kids color them with a red marker or crayon. Another idea would be to use a photo in place of the cat’s head sp t looks like the child is wearing the hat and a cat costume.
To finish making the Cat in the Hat inspired craft, glue the pieces together on top of 2 sheets of colored cardstock. You will need to glue one sheet of cardstock onto the back of the hat and overlap it with a colored cardstock glued to the back of the cat’s body. Glue the with stripes where they match up on the hat.
The cereal box Cat in the Hat craft is finished!
Find more Seuss inspired crafts below:
- Recycled K Cup Lorax Craft
- Seuss Inspired Handprint Craft Ideas
- Fun Cat in the Hat Crafts and Ideas
- Horton Hears A Who Craft for Pretend Play
- Cardboard Tube Lorax Craft with Template
- Handprint Lorax Art Project