Children’s smiles are one of the best things in the world. I have been blessed with 2 children who have beautiful smiles that I just absolutely adore. They brighten my day and their cute little faces when they laugh bring me so much joy. It makes me sad to know that some children are born unable to smile, eat, or speak due to facial deformities such as a cleft lip or palate. An international children’s charity named Operation Smile helps provide safe, effective reconstructive surgery for these children so that they may live a normal life.
Ruth Kaiser created the Spontaneous Smiley Project – a community that helps raise funds for Operation Smile. The Smiley Community pledges $1 for every Spontaneous Smile photo uploaded to the website.
What exactly is a spontaneous smile? They’re smiley faces we find in everyday objects & they are everywhere!
Our goal is to help change the lives of 5 of these deserving children by raising enough money to cover the cost of each surgery- $240 per surgery for a total of $1200.
Here are some ways you can involved helping out this wonderful cause and help us reach our goal:
- Share your own smiley photos– it’s easy! Take photos of any smileys you happen to come across & upload them to the Spontaneous Smiley website….please include “Elizabeth sent me” in the Who Are You? section. $1 is donated to Operation Smile for every photo uploaded. My son & I went on a smiley hunt around our home and was surprised at how many we found! He insisted that they all had to have noses too. Stop back early next week to see all them!
- Have a Smile-A-Thon – just like a Walk-A-Thon, but by the smile instead of by the mile! This would be fun to do by yourself or with a group and a great way to get children involved. You can print a pledge sheet here and ask others to sponsor each smiley photo that you upload. 100% of the money earned will go to Operation Smile.
- You may also donate directly to Operation Smile.
#ShareASmile Bloggers working collaboratively together to help spread the word:
- Broken Treasures – Elizabeth has put this whole project together!
- Crafts-N-Things for Children
- Play Dr Mom
- Boo Boo Princesses
- Raising Figure Skaters
- Hands On: As We Grow
- Court’s Craft Corner
We would love if you could help us reach our goal by tweeting about it, sharing on Facebook, etc.
Broken Treasures & Boo Boo Princesses are also hosting fun giveaways in an effort to help spread awareness for Operation Smile & Spontaneous Smiley. Please visit any of the following on the dates noted to enter:
Throughout the rest of this month some of us will be creating and posting about smile-related crafts, activities, and food ideas….in the mean-time,