Listening is such an important skill to learn, and the younger the better. Not only is it such a character developer, but it can also be a peacekeeper and a life-saver. Why do I say that? Well, when children listen to mom and dad, there is peace in the home. We don’t have to repeat ourselves and we don’t have to struggle.
Learning the importance of listening for kids is imperative because they can get so involved in playing that they lose sight of any dangers that might be around. If children know how to listen, they will be used to paying attention to when mom, dad or another adult in charge warns them of a danger, like a car coming, a slippery spot or a critter that might be aggressive.
Here are some kids books that you can read to your kids that will help them learn how to listen and why it is so important to listen. I hope you find this list helpful to you and don’t be shy about bringing them up and rereading them as the essential skill of listening becomes a lifestyle in your home.
Learning the Importance of Listening – Books for Kids
- Why Should I Listen? (Why Should I? Books)
- Listen, Buddy
- The Worst Day of My Life Ever! (Best Me I Can Be)
- Look, Listen, Taste, Touch, and Smell: Learning About Your Five Senses
- Little Elephant’s Listening Ears
- Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
- My Mouth Is a Volcano!
- The Fish With The Wish
- Liam Labradoodle Learns Whole Body Listening
- Who’s Listening (Grades 1-3)
- Lively Listening (Grades 4-6)
- Wonderful Words: Poems About Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening