When it comes to distance learning many families are struggling with ways to keep their kids on task. Some kids thrive in a virtual learning environment, while other kids can be easily distracted. Today I’m sharing some must have supplies for distance learning at home to help every parent who has kids in an at-home learning environment succeed.
Having a headphone and microphone with noise reduction helps teachers hear what your kids are saying. During a virtual learning session, many students are partaking in the session via a virtual classroom.
Having the best kids’ headphones during these at-home learning sessions will help your kids succeed by reducing background noises, and enabling your kids’ teacher to hear everything your kids say. Learning at home is similar to a classroom setting in that multiple kids are attending the sessions. Teachers must have a way to hear every student clearly and concisely, providing your kids with noise reduction headphones that include a microphone for distance education interaction will increase your kids change of success.
I purchased this 2 pack of adjustable headphones with a microphone. I chose these because they are foldable (great for storing while not in use) and have a Safe Volume Limited 91dB feature (volume restriction). They also come with an audio splitter which may come in useful when traveling and the kids can listen to the same thing, such as a movie. Plus, it currently has a save $10 coupon you can clip!
Other fun options:
- Glitter Animal Headphones with BLING design
- Cat Ear Headphones – At the time of writing this, there is a $5 coupon you can clip.
- Cat Ear LED Light Up Wireless Foldable Headphones
- Lightweight Folding Headphones – Lots of great colors for older kids.
- AILIHEN C8 Headphones – 8 different colors that are perfect for middle school and high school ages.
- Gaming Headsets
→ All Kids Headphones with microphones.
Flexible Seating and Desk Ideas:
Many students have a difficult time sitting still for long hours during an in-person classroom setting, so you can imagine those kids having difficulty with a distance learning environment, too. Below are some flexible seating and desk ideas that will help your kids get a solid education while learning at home. With the kids being at home, you can easily transform their desk and seating arrangement to be more comfortable for each kid’s seating, or standing, preference.
- The Surf Portable Lap Desk – Flexible and portable one-piece writing table for kids ages 6 and up.
- Children’s Balance Ball – This desk alternative seating option encourages kids to learn and practice healthy posture while teaching concentration, balance and calm.
- Inflated Wobble Cushion – I got this one for my daughter. It’s great for kids who can’t sit still, provides sensory input, and can be used for exercises.
- Balance Disc Wobble Cushion – I purchased this one for my middle schooler. I love that it also serves as a cushion since their chairs are just the uncomfortable metal fold-up ones. It helps improve posture plus can also be used for strength and balance exercises.
- Foldable Laptop Table Desk – This is a great option because you can use it on the floor, bed, or place it on something to use while standing.
- Guidecraft Arts and Crafts Center – Kids activity table and drawing desk with stools, storage bins, paper roller and paint cups.
Writing and Craft Supplies:
Now that your kids are learning at home, you can use this distance learning time to engage their artistic side. Many teachers will assign their students writing and drawing homework tasks. You’ll want to have some writing and craft supplies on hand for your kids to be successful with their new virtual learning environment. Below is a list of my favorite supplies for writing and craft time during at-home learning sessions.
- Crayola Ultimate Crayon Collection
- TICONDEROGA Pencils – Hands down the best pencils and are a definite must have school supply.
- Pencil Grips – help preschoolers/kindergartners’ writing posture through 3 different stages. We have these and I love all the different options. Great for helping with the pincer grip.
- Handwriting Patch: Handwriting Curriculum and Practice Workbook – This is such a great book for beginner writers. It has a fun method for teaching children the correct letter formations.
- No Spill Paint Cups with Colored Lids – These are a must have for kids who use paint and use watercolors! No more water messes.
Check out my Creative Kids Idea List on Amazon for fun craft supplies.
Creative Writing Surfaces:
- Desktop Dry-Erase Board
- mcSquares Stickies Dry-Erase Sticky Notes (sticks like a magnet)
- LCD Writing and Drawing Tablet – Great for younger children to practice writing letters and drawing shapes.
Homeschool Organization and Posters:
Since many parents have opted to homeschool their kids’ the average parent can find fabulous homeschool organization tips and posters to help with distance learning. While you’re not officially homeschooling, you can do your part to create an educational environment for at-home learning.
Below are a few of the best homeschool organization and posters for parents of kids who are distance learning or homeschooling this year.
- Learning Resources Create-a-Space Storage Bundle
- Learning Poster Kit – Set of 10 for preschool and kindergarten ages.
- 100’s Chart
- Bulletin Board – great for notes and personalizing their at home school space.
- 3-Tier Rolling Metal Storage Organizer – This popular craft cart is great for storing any kind of supplies. You can even get hanging magnetic storage jars/containers to hang on the side for smaller items such as these metal tins and these metal mesh baskets. TIP: Also search “Raskog Hack” on Pinterest or Google Search for great ways to use the cart!
- Recycled Cardboard Homework Holder – Check out our blog post to see how to make this!
Other Handy Supplies:
With so many kids attending school in a virtual setting these days, I wanted to include a list of resources and supplies that will help your kids succeed with at-home learning. Virtual learning for students requires additional supplies and resources to ensure academic success. The key is to find the right supplies to reduce academic summer slide occurring with your kids during distance learning sessions. My list of handy supplies below will provide you with everything you need to get your kids on the right path with at-home learning.
- Reusable Rubber Twist Ties – Great for keeping long cords tidy.
- Blue Light Blocking Glasses for Kids – Helps relieve eye strain and headaches. Non-prescription.
- Anti Blue Light Screen Protector – Grab one of these for a laptop of Chromebook (be sure to check the sizing).
- Echo Dot – Great for setting reminders and alarms for their scheduled live meetings and anything else. See our full review of fun things the Echo Dot can do.
- HP Instant Ink