Butterflies and crafting with paper doilies are two of my favorite things! We combined the two of them together this week and made this cute paper plate butterfly kids craft. With Valentine’s Day just weeks away, it’s the perfect time to stock up on paper doilies and use them to make some cute crafts with your kids. This sweet paper plate butterfly is super simple to make and the pink colors and heart doilies make it a perfect craft for Valentine’s Day.
*This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read I Heart Crafty Things’ full disclosure policy for more information.
How to make a Paper Plate Butterfly
- regular size paper plate
- small size paper plate
- two 10-inch white heart paper doilies
- paint (color of your choice)
- washi tape
- pipe cleaner (cut in half)
- googly eyes
- pink marker
- stapler (optional)
1. Start by trimming the sides of your regular size paper plate to make a butterfly body shape. Paint the bottom of that plate and your small paper plate with the color of your choice. Let the paint dry completely.
2. Staple or glue the small paper plate onto the top of the regular size paper plate. Place a few strips of washi tape down the body of the butterfly. We used some heart washi tape to make it festive for Valentine’s Day.
3. Glue your heart doilies to the back of your paper plates for butterfly wings and then tape your pipe cleaner antennae onto the back of the butterfly face with your washi tape.
4. Finish your paper plate butterfly craft by gluing on your googly eyes and drawing on a mouth with your pink marker. So simple right?!
To add even more beautiful colors to your paper plate butterfly craft, try using dot markers to decorate the wings of your butterfly.
Make sure to follow I Heart Crafty Things on Instagram for more kid craft inspiration!