I love handmade items and went a little overboard making things for a good friend of mine as part of the baby shower gift I gave her. She is a turtle freak and the baby nursery is safari-themed, so I chose to make it a cute Turtle Hair Bow Holder. It’s actually very easy to make! Eventually I will share the diaper bike and DIY shirt/onesie I made for her little girl too.
- wooden accent – I bought mine at Micheal’s in colors that matched the nursery set.
- buttons in various sizes to match the width of the ribbon
- hot glue gun
Instructions for making the handmade hair bow holder:
- Cut a long piece of wide ribbon to the length you would like it to be. I also cut a ribbon that was smaller in width and hot glued it on top of the other piece. If you choose to do this, make sure that you don’t overdo it with the hot glue and rather do a thin strip. I placed glue on a small section at a time and pressed the ribbon in place.
- Cut a small piece of ribbon to cover the bottom edge and hot glue it into place.
- Take you biggest button that is the same size in width as the ribbon and hot glue it near the bottom of the ribbon. This helps weight the ribbon down.
- Take 1 or 2 smaller button and hot glue them on top of the bigger button.
- Adhere the ribbon to the back of your wooden accent using the glue gun.
- Cut a thin piece of sturdier ribbon to use as the hook to hang the bow holder up with. Glue it on in an arc shape to the backside of the wood piece.
Simple, huh? The possibilities are endless! We have an absolutely adorable ladybug one for my little princess that I just love. I can’t wait to make more!
I also made flower hair clips, zebra hair bows, and a heart clip (cute for Valentine’s Day!) for her baby to wear when she gets a little older and to attach to headbands while she is a baby.