My son’s best friend is Chinese & this year we attended a little Chinese New Year Party at his house with some of our other friends.
We made Chinese Drums– this actually turned into more of a mommy craft as the kids were busy playing with toys. They are simple to make!
2 small paper plates
ribbon or string
hot glue gun or stapler
red & gold glitter
1. Hot glue the Popsicle stick to a paper plate.
2. Hot glue paper plates together.
3. Punch a hole on each side.
4. Cut ribbon/string so that it goes slightly past the center point & tie on.
5. Tie a bead on at the end of each ribbon.
6. Decorate as you wish. We glued red construction paper on both sides and then my friend wrote the Chinese Symbols for Good Luck & Good Fortune. The glitter glue we used didn’t dry fast enough so if using glitter, I recommend using the loose kind with white school glue.
The kids colored these free printable Dragon Masks. We hot glued ours to a Popsicle stick instead of tying elastic to it like in their directions. Click here to print the dragon masks.
Some of the kids were running around chasing each other & roaring.
Of course we had Chinese Food! Those spring rolls were so yummy!
sweet & sour sauce
dumplings with seafood in them
My friend that hosted the event gave us red envelopes to give to our children with money in it.
I had to add this photo of the kids because it is so stinkin’ cute! One of the few moments where they were all actually getting along 🙂