Help kids get into the holiday spirit with this DIY Patriotic Star Wand for the 4th of July. It would be fun to wave around at parades and makes a great photo prop. Use it all year long for pretend play – you could even change the colors to whatever the child’s favorites are.
DIY Patriotic Star Wand Tutorial
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. **We love when our blog partners, CraftProjectIdeas, sends us a box of craft supplies to create fun stuff with. For this craft, we used their wood dowels which are available to purchase from Walmart.
- Wood Dowels – round
- Square Wood Dowel for handle (or use a circular one)
- Glue – I used Mod Podge because it’s easy to paint on.
- Ribbon – all different colors
- Lighter (Adults Only!) – to singe the end of the ribbons or use a seam sealer to prevent fraying
- Craft Foam
- Glitter Glue Pens
Make the ribbons curly by following this korker bow tutorial.
How to make the Patriotic Parade Wand
- Paint the wooden dowel with glue. I just did a section at a time.
- Wrap the ribbon around it. Start with it on a slight angle.
- Tie the curly ribbons near the top one at a time. Leava a little room for the star.
- Cut a star shape from the craft foam. Trace around it and cut that one out for the other side of the wand.
- Glue the 2 star pieces together so that the the dowel is in between them.
- Use a glitter glue pen around the edges of the star. This will hide the seam plus it doesn’t get everywhere like loose glitter does.
Our Patriotic Korker Bows we made a few years ago match perfectly with this star wand!
More Fourth Of July Craft Ideas
[ess_grid alias=”Fourth of July Grid”][/ess_grid]