Ready for a sponge painting session, Christmas-style? We are sharing 4 ways to make sponge painted gingerbread cookies. At the end of the post are 7 more Christmas craft ideas using sponges!
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links to the products mentioned. Please read our full disclosure policy here.
Sponge Painted Gingerbread Cookies
- gingerbread cookie cutter
- brown and red paint
- paper plates
- construction paper/cardstock
- buttons and/or gems
- white ric-rac (or white paint)
- black marker
- Optional: glitter glue, ribbons
Pre-cut gingerbread cookies by tracing the cookie cutter. Lay on top of a sheet of paper. Originally we had used 2, but one got a little messed up so we cut the paper in half like shown in the silhouette painting.
Pour paint on to the paper plate. Use a sponge to dip into the plate and then dab all over the a sheet of paper covering the entire surface including the cut out gingerbreads. If you have any extra cut out cookies, sponge paint over those as well. Doing it this way makes 2 crafts at once: once you lift the cut-outs they will be painted as well as the bottom sheet of paper. The bottom sheet will have a gingerbread silhouette where you lift the pieces. Neat, huh? Set aside to dry.
To make the jumbo cookie. sponge paint all over a sheet of paper. Once dry, cut out a gingerbread cookie shape.
Now it’s time to decorate the cookies!
Add ric-ric on the arms and legs (except for the silhouette, we used green glitter glue). Add eyes and mouth plus eyebrows and eyelashes if you’d like. Little Sister wanted a bow on the gingerbread girl she made. It’s just ribbin tied together with a string in the center. Also add buttons, sequins, or those jewel gems to the tummy area.
Paper Plate Gingerbread Craft
Sponge Paint all over a paper plate. Let dry. Glue white ric-rac all around the edge going in a circle. Draw on eyes and a mouth. Add 2 rosy cheeks with red paint (we used glitter paint). Finish by adding a bow.
More Christmas Painting Crafts
This month’s #kidscraftstars challenge theme is Christmas sponge painting. See what the others made below and be sure to follow Kids Craft Stars Pinterest Board too stay up-to-date with all our crafts!
- Red and Green Poinsettia Sponge Painting – A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Sponge Painted Christmas Sock Craft – Easy Peasy and Fun
- Sponge Painted Reindeer Craft for Kids – I Heart Crafty Things
- Mini Painted Sponge Christmas Tree – Pink Stripey Socks
- Christmas Wreath Painting – I Heart Arts n Crafts
- Sponge Painted Reindeer Wrapping Paper – Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Sponge Painted Christmas Tree Art – hello, Wonderful