The taste of peppermint…..
…..the wonderful smell of Christmas goodies cooking.
The holidays are such a special time of year. Maybe you’re attending a work event or hosting a Christmas party in your home this year. Now you want a festive dessert to share with everyone BUT prefer it to be simple. These red velvet Christmas holly cupcakes with peppermint frosting are the perfect solution. All you need are 3 M&M’s and a gum drop!
Red Velvet Christmas Holly Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcake Ingredients:
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 egg; room temp
- ½ cup butter – room temp, plus 4 tablespoons
- ¼ cup shortening; softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon red velvet extract
- 1 tablespoon red gel food coloring
Peppermint Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter; soft
- 4+ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 bag green gum drops (candy)
- 1 bag of red M&M’s
Red Velvet Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners (Christmas colors or design).
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix with a wire whisk.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, shortening and sugar until it is light and creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, red velvet extract, and red gel food coloring. Mix well.
- Add flour and buttermilk, 1/2 of each at a time. Mix until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners – about 2/3’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from cupcake tins to a wire rack until totally cooled.
Peppermint Frosting Directions:
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- Add the peppermint extract. Stir to mix well.
- If it doesn’t cream, add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it does.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready. If it doesn’t then add more powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Mix well.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting through to the tip.
- Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake and then work to the center of the cupcake.
- Cut the green gum drop candy in half.
- Place the candy halves on top of the cupcake to look like the green leaves of the holly.
- To make the berries, form a triangle shape by placing 3 red M&M’s on their sides. (see photo examples if needed).
Ready for more holiday yumminess? Stop by the Happy Holidays Good Eats and Treats blog hop hosted by Playdough & Popsicles!
For more posts like this red velvet Christmas holly cupcakes, check out our creative cupcakes category!