We celebrated Chinese New Year with a playdate filled with fun activities, crafts, adorable outfits, and yummy Chinese food.
I was so happy with the way the Egg Carton Snakes turned out. Inspiration came from the egg carton dragon craft on the Kaboose website. We painted them red and also with gold glitter paint, the two main color associated with the Chinese New Year.
How to make the egg carton snakes:
- Cut apart an egg carton. You can also leave it in a strip for a simpler version. Both ways are cute, but I really like the curvy snake-like look on the ones cut into sections.
- Use a hole punch to make 2 holes on each piece opposite from each other.
- Paint it red or a color of choice. When it dries, paint with the gold glitter paint. Alternatively you could sprinkle loose glitter while the paint is still wet.
- Paint black on the inside of one to create the mouth.
- When it has finished drying, string ribbon or yarn through a jingle bell and then through all the holes. Tie the end to secure it.
- Glue on tiny Pom poms and google eyes.
- Make a tongue from a pipe cleaner or craft foam and glue it in place.
My son’s bestie happens to be Chinese and gets a new outfit every year. My kids were able to fit into past ones that no longer fit him and our other friend’s daughter also came in a cute Chinese outfit. I am still in awe that I got a photo of all 4 kids smiling and looking at the camera…. he, he!