WooHoo! This month’s theme for the kids craft stars challenge is Monsters. We love monsters around here! My kids have watched Monsters Inc. and Monsters University more times than I can remember this past year. We decided to make a Monsters University craft by recycling k cups (coffee pods) into Mike and Sulley for the craft challenge!
Check out our Monsters Inc. inspired family movie day for more monster fun!
This is a great way to reuse something that otherwise would be thrown away into fun toys and/or games for the kids to play with. They would even make adorable game pieces!
Monsters University Craft
- Empty, clean k cups
- Acrylic paints and/or permanent markers
- Pipe Cleaners
Paint one cup with a green color that matches the color of Mike Wazowski. To achieve this, add yellow and white to the green if you don’t have a good match. Paint the other k cup with a light blue color that matches Sulley. Let dry.
Find inspiration for the faces by looking online. You could even print a face to use on the craft. I chose to paint Mike’s monster face. My 1st attempt at Sulley’s face didn’t look good so opted for printing one. Outline with black paint or permanent marker.
Use a scissors or something with a sharp point to poke holes in the top for the horns. Cut a small piece of a grayish-white pipe cleaner, then fold it in half. Push it through the hole. Repeat with the other side. Bend all 4 horns slightly to curve them a tiny bit.
→ See also: M is for Monsters – an awesome science experiment and printable math activity!
Monster Craft Challenge
- Paper Plate Monster – A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Popsicle Stick Monsters – I Heart Arts n Crafts
- Rock Monsters – Easy Peasy and Fun
- Paint Drip Monster Pots – Crafty Morning
- Make Monster Sculptures – Pink Stripey Socks
- Modern Mix and Match Magnetic Monsters– Hello, Wonderful
- Paper Bag Monster Puppets – I Heart Crafty Things
- Puzzle Piece Monsters – Glued to My Crafts Blog
- Bubble Wrap Monsters – In the Playroom
- Potato Print Monsters – Artsy Craftsy Mom
I love how adorable the k cup Mike and Sulley crafts look! We may even try making Art (the purple monster) as another fun Monsters University craft!